The mission of the American Board of Pathology (ABPath), as a member of the American Board of Medical Specialties, is to serve the public and advance the profession of pathology by setting certification standards and promoting lifelong competency of pathologists.
The following ABPath examinations have been developed by ABPath and are being administered with the support of the American Board of Medical Specialties.
- Anatomic Pathology (AP) Examination
- Clinical Pathology (CP) Examination
For detailed information on individual certification requirements, please visit abpath.org.
Examination appointments may be made during the designated Exam Scheduling period (dates to be announced). The appointment testing time limit noted on Pearson VUE web pages reflects the total appointment time, including a tutorial, examination, and exit survey.
If you are scheduling examination appointments for a combined examination (AP/CP), the examination dates do not have to be scheduled back-to-back.
All ABPath exam candidates must create a new Pearson VUE account to schedule an ABPath exam.
- If you are requesting special accommodations for the examination, please contact Mary@abpath.org prior to scheduling an exam appointment.
April 28- May 19, 2021
Certification Exams and Exam Preparation
The Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology examinations are each one-day, computer-based examinations consisting of written and practical sections and virtual microscopy (AP exam only). All questions are multiple-choice, single best answer format.
For more detailed descriptions of American Board of Pathology Certification exams, please visit https://www.abpath.org/index.php/taking-an-examination/primary-certificate-requirements.
Certification Program Agreement
Prior to starting an American Board of Pathology Certification exam, you will be asked to agree to the terms and conditions of the American Board of Pathology Honor Code.
If you choose to cancel your examination(s) you must notify the ABPath by email at Mary@abpath.org and cancel online with Pearson VUE if you already scheduled your examination appointment date(s).
Cancellation Deadlines and Fees
Canceling Before the Exam Scheduling Period is Open.
You may cancel your exam(s) with ABPath up until the Exam Scheduling period opens (date to be announced) for a full refund minus the $100 administrative fee. To cancel, email Mary@abpath.org.
Canceling After the Scheduling Period with Pearson VUE has begun: (dates to be announced)
- If you cancel your exam(s) once the scheduling period has begun, ABPath will refund your fee minus a $500 cancellation fee.
- If you apply to take a combined exam (AP and CP) and cancel one portion, there is no refund of your examination fee. When reapplying for the cancelled exam during a future exam period, the standard examination fee for a single exam will be charged ($2100).
- If you cancel within 48 hours of the scheduled exam, the full examination fee is forfeited.
- If you are registered for an exam with ABPath and do not schedule an exam date with Pearson VUE, that is considered a cancellation and the full examination fee is forfeited.
- If you scheduled exam date(s) with Pearson VUE and do not show up, that is considered a cancellation and the full examination fee is forfeited.