ABPMR Certification Testing
The American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (ABPMR) is a member board of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS). The intent of the ABPMR is to provide assurance to the public that a certified medical specialist has successfully completed an approved educational program and evaluation, including an examination process, designed to assess the knowledge, experience, and skills requisite to the provision of high-quality patient care in that specialty.
* Windows-based PC required; Tutorial is not available for Mac platforms
Before scheduling an examination appointment, you must have already:
- Been approved by the ABPMR;
- Been notified of your eligibility to sit for the examination;
- Paid an examination authorization fee to the ABPMR.
The standards for passing the examinations are established by the ABPMR.
- Primary Certification Examination in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Part I (Please Note: All candidates must pass Part I before applying for and being declared admissible for Part II.)
- Subspecialty Examinations*
- Spinal Cord Injury Medicine (SCI Medicine)
- Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine (PRM)
- Maintenance of Certification (MOC)
- Brain Injury Medicine (BIM)
*ABPMR also offers subspecialty certification examination in Pain Medicine, Sports Medicine, Neuromuscular Medicine, and Hospice and Palliative Medicine. Contact the ABPMR office for more information.
Appointments may be made up to one business day in advance.
After you schedule your test, Pearson VUE will send a confirmation letter listing your test date, your testing time, the address and phone number of the test center, and directions to the test center.
Your examination results will NOT be available at the test center. Examination results are reported by the ABPMR within six weeks following an examination.