American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) Certification Testing
AHIMA offers computer-based certification exams for the RHIA, RHIT, CCA, CCS, CCS-P, CHDA, CHPS and CDIP credentials.
Authorization to Test
To schedule a testing appointment, you must have applied for and received an Authorization to Test letter containing your eligibility number and scheduling information. Candidates will be sent an ATT letter via email from Pearson VUE.
Prior to scheduling your exam, please ensure that your first and last name matches your ATT letter and your two forms of acceptable identification.
If you have questions concerning your exam application or eligibility requirements, please contact AHIMA at Certification@AHIMA.org.
Candidates who do not schedule and sit for their exam prior to the 4-month eligibility end date will forfeit their exam fee. Schedule your appointment as soon as possible to ensure availability.
Exam Delivery Options
The RHIA, RHIT, CCA, CCS, and CCS-P certification exams are available in person at a Pearson VUE Authorized Test Center.
The CHDA, CHPS and CDIP certification exams are available in person at a Pearson VUE Authorized Test Center or online with OnVUE in the comfort of your home.
Testing online with the OnVUE system is flexible, convenient, and easy, but there are unique requirements you should be familiar with. Please review the online requirements and Weigh your options »
Due to in-country regulations, we are unable to offer the online proctoring option to test takers located in Japan, China, South Korea, Slovenia, and OFAC countries (Iran, Cuba, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria).
Schedule an In Person Certification Exam (all AHIMA certification exams)
- To find in person test centers click Seat Availability and select your certification exam.
- To prepare for your in person testing experience, please review the video "What to to expect when testing."
- If you have an authorization and are ready to schedule your exam: click Sign in at the top of this page.
Schedule an OnVUE Online Proctored Certification Exam (CHDA, CHPS, and CDIP exams only)
- Prior to scheduling your OnVUE online appointment, please review the video "OnVUE Testing Experience" to verify you meet all the requirements.
- Please run a system check with the computer you will be using to take your online certification exam to ensure a successful exam experience. (NOTE: Work computers generally have more restrictions that prevent a successful exam experience (e.g. firewalls).
- Once you have verified you meet all OnVUE requirements (including technical requirements) and run a system check, schedule an online appointment click Sign in at the top of this page.
On Examination Day
In Person Certification Exams
- Arrive at the test center 30 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time.
- Present valid identification - Primary and Secondary IDs must match the ATT letter or candidates will be turned away and forfeit their exam fees.
- Present allowable code books (if applicable to your exam).
OnVUE Online Certification Exams
- Prepare your desk/workspace by removing all prohibited items (e.g. paper, books, pencils/pens), run a system check, and have your ID’s ready to present.
- Run a system test.
- Begin the check-in process up to 30 minutes prior to your appointment time.
- Once you login to the OnVUE appointment you are required to adhere to all AHIMA policies specified by the proctor. (Note: the online proctor may stop your certification exam at any point if you are in violation of an AHIMA policy).