Security Professional Education Development (SPēD) Certification Program
The Security Professional Education Development (SPēD) Certification Program is part of the Department of Defense's (DoD) initiative to professionalize the security workforce. This initiative ensures there exists a common set of competencies among security practitioners that promotes interoperability, facilitates professional development and training, and develops a workforce of certified security professionals.
You are eligible to pursue a SPēD certification if you are DoD personnel or a federal employee or contractor assigned to a security position and employed by an agency accepted for participation in the SPēD Certification Program.
Contact your Component Service Representative (CSR), if you have questions about your SPēD Certification Program eligibility.
My SPēD Certification (MSC) Account
MSC is the system of record for the SPēD Certification Program. Before scheduling your SPēD certification assessment, you must establish an active and up-to-date MSC account. Your MSC account is where you will manage your SPēD certification activity.
To create and update your MSC account:
- Create or update your MSC account.
- Enter or update your information.
- Review and, if needed, modify the following fields to conform to the listed requirements:
- Organization: If you are performing your security duties as a federal or contract employee, select the appropriate organization name or entity.
- DoD Identification (ID) number, address, phone number, government email address, government status, and U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) job series.
- Select the “Submit” button to save
- You will receive an email within 48 hours to confirm your interest and be provided a link to your MSC account. Select that link and follow the instructions to activate your MSC account.
Requesting Authorization to Test and Scheduling Your Assessment
After your MSC accounts is active and updated, and before scheduling a SPēD certification assessment, you must obtain authorization from your employing Component or agency to take a SPēD certification assessment.
Complete the following to request authorization to test:
- Notify your supervisor of your intent to participate in the SPēD Certification Program.
- Log in to (or create) your MSC account. If you have previously participated in the SPēD Certification Program, have an MSC account, and have tested at a Pearson VUE testing facility, skip to Step 5.
- You will receive a confirmation email within 48 hours with a link and a verification code to your new MSC account. Please note: MSC is a non-DoD commercial website.
- Verify your MSC account information using the verification code, and create your user ID and password.
- Sign in to your MSC account. Edit your MSC profile page by selecting the edit profile link located on the left-hand navigation bar.
- Under “Forms” on the left-hand navigation bar, click “Complete a Form.”
- From the “New Forms” tab, select, complete, and submit your Assessment Request Form.
- If your request is approved, follow the instructions within the confirmation email.
- After you have scheduled your assessment, you will receive a confirmation email with important information for assessment day, including directions to the test center.
Upon receiving authorization to test, the assessment must be scheduled and completed within 120 calendar days.
Canceling or Rescheduling a SPēD Certification Assessment
You may cancel or reschedule your assessment without penalty at least 24 hours in advance. If you cancel less than 24 hours in advance, you will be placed on a 90-day hold and will not be allowed to reschedule until that 90-day period expires. If you believe extenuating circumstances warrant an exception, contact your SPēD Certification Program CSR.
You may reschedule existing appointments within the 90-calendar day authorization allotment.
Retaking a SPēD Certification Assessment
If you do not obtain a passing score or do not complete the assessment, you can retake the SPēD certification assessment after a 90-day waiting period. This waiting period is applied after each sitting, regardless of whether you completed the assessment. “Sitting for the assessment” occurs when you log on to the testing workstation. Please refer to “Prepare for SPēD Certification” for suggested preparatory tools and resources to aid in improving performance when retaking the assessment.
Note: Click here to find a test center location nearest to you.
*Candidates who are eligible to test must schedule and complete their authorized certification test within 120 days.
Prepare for SPēD Certification