NACD Directorship Certification®
The NACD Directorship Certification® is the premier director designation available in the United States. This program is designed to be a qualification that keeps pace with the ongoing changes in corporate governance, positioning you to meet the biggest boardroom challenges. NACD Directorship Certification is made for directors, by directors, and is more than a credential. It is a declaration to your peers and stakeholders that you are capable of leading in the boardroom today and that you are committed to engaging in the ongoing education that will enable you to lead in the future.
Taking the Exam Online?
Before the Online Exam Date:
- Please make sure you review all the technical requirements. At a minimum, please make sure that you understand the following:
- Use either Windows 10 or 11, or macOS 10.15 or higher. Linux/Unix and Chrome-based Operating Systems are not supported.
- Disconnect from any VPN and close all running browsers and programs—including firewalls.
- Use a personal computer and not your work computer (work computers have firewalls that will prevent OnVUE from running).
- Use only approved hardware (monitors, keyboards, webcams, microphones) and other devices.
- Connect to a wired network; relying on a wireless network is not advised.
- For critical information on taking your online exam with OnVUE, make sure that you review these resources:
- NACD Directorship Certification FAQs
Top reasons why a candidate’s online exam with OnVUE may be aborted include these:
- Insufficient Internet signal—connecting to a wired network is highly recommended.
- Not using the correct operating system.
- Not disconnecting from a VPN and not closing background browsers and programs including firewalls.
- Failing the system check.
- Cell phone, camera, or audio issues: You are required to take pictures of your ID and complete a workstation/room scan of your environment during the check-in process. If the review of your scan is not approved, you will not be permitted to begin the exam.
- Inappropriate testing space—make sure your workstation is in a well-lit, quiet, walled room with a door and is clear of any personal effects (e.g., tablets, books, notepads, paper, pens). No one is permitted in the same room as you and no interruptions will be allowed.
- Non-approved hardware—tablets, touch screens, and extra monitors are prohibited.
Get certified from your home or office
Take your NACD exam conveniently from home through OnVUE online proctoring. A live proctor will monitor you through the webcam on your workstation to provide a secure exam experience.
Watch the short tutorial video on the NACD Online Exam Prep Resources homepage to see how convenient it is to test from home or work. Be sure to run the system test before you sign in to register for an online proctored exam. Good luck!
Government-Issued ID Requirements
You are required provide a government-issued ID (e.g., passport, driver’s license, identification card) to gain exam access.
- The first and last name on the government-issued ID must match the first and last name the candidate used to register for the exam.
- Your government-issued ID must include a recent, recognizable photo.
If you require testing accommodations, please reach out to Credentialing@nacdonline.org before scheduling your exam. You are required to complete an NACD ADA Accommodations Request Form, and upon approval, we will provide reasonable and appropriate accommodations related to the testing process.
Visit our FAQs page for more information.