The National Board of Examiners in Optometry (NBEO) offers five examinations through Pearson VUE: the Part I – Applied Basic Science (ABS) exam, the Part II – Patient Assessment and Management (PAM) exam, the Treatment and Management of Ocular Disease (TMOD) exam, the Advanced Competency in Medical Optometry (ACMO) exam, and the Continued Professional Development in Optometry (CPDO) exam.
2021 testing dates:
- ABS: administered two times in 2021 on March 16 – 19 and August 3
- ACMO: administered one time in 2021 on June 11
- CPDO: administered twice in 2021 on March 5 and September 17
- PAM: administered twice in 2021 on April 6 and December 7 and 9
- TMOD: administered twice in 2021 on April 6 and December 9
2022 testing dates:
- ABS: administered twice in 2022 on March 15 - 18 and August 2
- ACMO: administered once in 2022 on June 10
- CPDO: administered twice in 2022 on March 4 and September 28
- PAM: administered twice in 2022 on April 5 and December 6 and 8
- TMOD: administered twice in 2022 on April 5 and December 8
Please be advised that NBEO would recommend that you schedule a seat at the best available location. You can continue to review the Pearson VUE website for additional availability options and potentially change your seat if an opening occurs.
Registration and Scheduling Information
Candidates wishing to take an NBEO examination must register and pay the examination fee using the NBEO’s online registration process at www.optometry.org. Once registration is processed, the candidate will receive an email from the NBEO with information needed to set up a web account with Pearson VUE for the purpose of selecting a test center location. In order to secure a seat at a convenient location, candidates are urged to schedule through Pearson VUE as early as possible. NBEO examinations are administered at test centers in the USA, Puerto Rico, and Canada only.
Pearson Professional Centers are designed solely for high-stakes testing. This online tour will help you become more familiar with the testing environment you can expect on the day of your exam.
NBEO Computer-Based Testing Tutorials
These tutorials show you how to navigate through a computer-based exam, and give you the opportunity to practice taking a demonstration test. Candidates have the opportunity to view the same tutorial at the Pearson VUE test center just prior to taking their examination.
It is highly recommended that you review the tutorial for your specific exam prior to arrival at the test center.
* Windows-based PC required; Tutorial is not available for Mac platforms
Tutorial system requirements