Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC)
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: THE TEST OF COMPETENCE 2021
The NMC is introducing a new test of competence, for more information please visit the NMC website.
The NMC’s Test of Competence (ToC) is used to assess the skills and knowledge of people wanting to join the NMC register from overseas or rejoin the NMC register after a long period away from practice.
You have to successfully complete both parts of the ToC in order to proceed with your NMC application. One part of the ToC is a computer based test (CBT) and can be undertaken at various Pearson VUE test and professional centres. For more information on how to register with the NMC and to find out more about the CBT, please visit the NMC Website where you can also find the relevant CBT candidate information booklets.
Booking your CBT test
Once the NMC has told you that you will need to take the CBT, you may book your CBT online or over the phone. The NMC will let you know by when you must complete your CBT, and we are not able to change this date. Bookings can be made up to one working day in advance.
You will receive notification of any bookings, reschedules, and cancellations by email. All correspondence from Pearson VUE will end with “@pearson.com”. Please ensure that you check your email ‘junk’ folder for emails.
Candidates must ensure they book the CBT that is consistent with their application type. For example, if you’re applying for registration as an adult nurse, you will need to select and book the adult nursing CBT. A full list of CBT exam series codes are provided below:
- Registered Adult Nurse: NMC_RNA
- Registered Childrens Nurse: NMC_RNC
- Registered Mental Health Nurse: NMC_RNMH
- Registered Learning Disabilities Nurse: NMC_RNLD
- Registered Midwife: NMC_RM
- Registered Nursing Associate: NAR
For more information about how to book the CBT, please refer to the CBT information booklet, which can be found here.
Should candidates book the wrong CBT type, please be advised that the NMC won’t be able to accept your application for registration and Pearson Vue won’t be able to refund the CBT payment to you.
If you have already booked an incorrect CBT, please get in touch with Pearson Vue to amend your appointment.
Please note: Test accommodations or reasonable adjustments for the CBT
Pearson VUE and the NMC are committed to ensuring access for all individuals with disabilities. Depending on your geographical region, reasonable adjustments may also be known as “special arrangements” or “test accommodations”.
Pearson VUE provides reasonable adjustments where possible to individuals with documented disabilities or injury who demonstrate a need. These can be provided if you have a disability, health condition or injury that prevents you from following our processes. Please contact the NMC at email@example.com before booking your CBT with details of your disability, health condition or injury. The NMC will review your request within 10 working days and they may ask you for evidence.
We have recently updated our payment methods to give you more choice when booking your CBT:
- If you are an individual candidate testing in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Benin, Cameroon, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Lebanon, Nigeria, Pakistan, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda, and are experiencing difficulties with paying by debit or credit card, you can purchase a voucher to book your test, by clicking here.
- If you are an individual candidate and wish to purchase an individual voucher to book your test, please click here.
- If you wish to make a bulk voucher purchase (minimum 5), please click the 'purchase test vouchers' link to the right of this text, and follow the instructions to complete the order form.