Nevada State Board of Cosmetology
The mission of the Nevada State Board of Cosmetology is to protect the public health, safety, and welfare of those that obtain cosmetology related services through the delivery of quality testing, licensing, inspection, and education services that focus on consumer protection. (NRS 644A & NAC 644A)
Theory Test Information
The theory test is required for:
- Individuals that do not have a current/active license in another state or jurisdiction; and/or for
- Individuals that have completed hours at beauty school, approved apprenticeship, or are seeking a license for braiding and that do not have an active/current license in another state or jurisdiction.
The theory test is offered in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Korean, and Simplified Chinese. This test validates the applicant's knowledge of minimal competency within the core scopes of practices for each license type and how to deliver the services in a safe and sanitary manner. All theory tests may be scheduled at Pearson VUE testing centers.
Nevada State Law Test
The Nevada State Law Test is a requirement for all professionals licensed in the State of Nevada, and is designed to educate the professional entering Nevada of the laws and regulations governing the State. The Nevada State Law Test is required for all individuals obtaining their first Nevada license. The law test is offered in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Korean, and Simplified Chinese. Prepare for the practice test. The law test may be scheduled at Pearson VUE testing centers, Pearson VUE partner sites in the state of Nevada, and at select military bases.
All candidates must receive prior authorization for any testing by completing an application.
Additional information about application processing, testing and licensing can be found here: Testing Information
Interpreter services may be obtained for a fee. You must receive prior authorization from the State Board of Cosmetology for an interpreter. You may visit Nevada Court's website for an Interpreters Roster or you may call on the services below:
- Las Vegas- 8th District Court Interpreters-702-671-4578
- Reno- The Language Connection-775-323-7883
- Reno- Nevada Hispanic Services-775-826-1818
- Reno- University of Nevada Reno Language Bank-775-784-7515 ext: 227
Candidates wishing to request a testing accommodation under the ADA should use the Test Accommodations link to the right.