Learn more about testing for Essential Services in the U.S. and Canada during COVID-19. See FAQs »
Learn more about Pearson VUE test delivery during COVID-19.
Certifications assess an individual’s mastery of job knowledge, require Continuing Education, and award an acronym after one’s name. PTCB offers two national certification programs for pharmacy technicians:
- Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) is the foundation of a rewarding career as a pharmacy technician. To earn CPhT Certification, pharmacy technicians must meet eligibility requirements and earn a passing score on the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam® (PTCE®). Once certified, CPhTs must recertify every 2 years to maintain active status. Learn more »
- Certified Compounded Sterile Preparation Technician® (CSPT®) demonstrates a CPhT’s knowledge and skill as a specialized pharmacy technician in compounded sterile preparation as well as their commitment to the role they play in ensuring medication safety. To apply, a candidate must be an active PTCB CPhT in good standing and satisfy PTCB’s education and/or work criteria. Learn more »
Assessment-Based Certificates evaluate learning outcomes from a PTCB-Recognized Education/Training Program and/or work experience for the specific certificate, do not expire or require maintenance, and do not award an acronym after the name. PTCB offers the following certificate programs:
- Billing and Reimbursement shows that CPhTs not only have the necessary foundational knowledge of billing and reimbursement but are capable of playing a leadership role in this crucial administrative function for a pharmacy, which helps patients access medication. Learn more »
- Controlled Substances Diversion Prevention demonstrates advanced competency and commitment to take on greater responsibilities in preventing diversion with knowledge in security control measures, high risk areas of the pharmacy, motivations to divert, and more. Learn more »
- Hazardous Drug Management demonstrates that CPhTs have knowledge of defined guidelines and requirements for managing hazardous drugs and are prepared to play a vital role in helping ensure the safety of the facility. Learn more »
- Immunization Administration recognizes CPhTs who demonstrate an understanding of how to safely manage and deliver immunizations to minimize the spread of disease. Unlike other Assessment-Based Certificate Exams, this exam is only available online and is unproctored. Learn more »
- Medication History indicates a CPhT has demonstrated the necessary training, experience, and knowledge to be entrusted to collect accurate medication histories from patients and identify potential medication errors in any pharmacy practice setting. Learn more »
- Technician Product Verification offers CPhTs an opportunity to demonstrate and be recognized for competency in completing final verification duties, checking medications dispensed by other technicians, pharmacists, or automated systems for accuracy, and managing detail-oriented work and administrative tasks. Learn more »
Authorization To Schedule
Once your application is approved, you will be authorized to schedule an exam appointment. The authorization to schedule period is 90 days. Learn more »
Scheduling a PTCB Credential Exam
You may schedule with Pearson VUE online or by phone. Scheduling your appointment online is the most convenient method, and the only option for making appointment changes outside of business hours.
Group testing is possible. All exams still need to be delivered at a Pearson VUE testing center.
In order to schedule a group, the candidates must first apply for the exam. Once all of the candidates have applied and been authorized, list all first and last names as well as each PTCB Account Number (ID) using the forms provided below.
Forms should be completed and emailed to Pearson VUE at PVGroupReservations@Pearson.com. When Pearson VUE receives your request for group scheduling, they will contact you with more information.
Candidates who requested testing accommodations during the application process will not be authorized to schedule until PTCB has approved the accommodations. Candidates with approved testing accommodations must call Pearson VUE’s Accommodations Hotline to schedule an appointment, at (800) 466-0450.