The Royal College of Emergency Medicine
The Royal College of Emergency Medicine is the professional membership body for Emergency Medicine doctors in the UK. The College is established to advance education and research in Emergency Medicine. The College is responsible for setting standards of training and administering examinations in Emergency Medicine for the award of Fellowship and Membership of the College as well as recommending trainees for CCT in Emergency Medicine.
Fellowship of the Royal College of Emergency Medicine (FRCEM)
From August 2018, the Fellowship examination consists of the following components:
- FRCEM Primary Examination
- FRCEM Intermediate Certificate:
- Short Answer Question Paper
- Situational Judgement Paper
- FRCEM Final Examination:
- Critical Appraisal (Short Answer Question Paper)
- Quality Improvement Project (QIP)
- Clinical Short Answer Question Paper
- Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)
Exam and scheduling information
The following examinations are available to sit through remote proctoring (OnVUE) or at Pearson VUE test centres:
- FRCEM Primary
- FRCEM Intermediate SAQ
- FRCEM Intermediate SJP
- FRCEM Final Critical Appraisal
- FRCEM Final SAQ
Each examination is delivered twice a year, the full examination schedule is available on the RCEM website.
Candidates must apply for their examination through the RCEM website during the published application windows.
Scheduling your test
- Sign in to your Pearson VUE web account
- Schedule your examination date.
- You will receive the exam appointment confirmation by email within 48 hours for the date and location that you will sit the exam. If you do not receive the booking confirmation within 48 hours or if any of the information is incorrect, please contact Pearson VUE immediately: by phone or by email.
- For further queries related to your examination eligibility and accommodations or RCEM approved reasonable adjustments, please contact RCEM directly:
Testing with OnVUE
For candidates taking exams through Online Proctoring (OnVUE), please visit RCEM OnVUE Page to learn more about OnVUE, how to run your system test, OnVUE tutorial Video, and read OnVUE Policies and Procedures.
Testing at Pearson VUE Testing Centre
For candidates taking exams through Pearson VUE Test Centres, please visit Resource Page to learn about the check-in process, testing experience at Test Centre, view video resources and frequently asked questions.
Click here for Pearson VUE demo test »
Attention: Please make sure to check your spam and junk email folders as it is possible that candidate correspondence from Pearson VUE could automatically go to one of these folders. All correspondence from Pearson VUE will end with “@pearson.com.”