Massachusetts Cosmetology and Barbering
Testing has resumed for Massachusetts Cosmetology & Barbering program. The number of testing slots have been reduced, to comply with social distancing requirements. When preparing for your examination, in additional to your kits, please be sure to also bring the following:
- Face masks (both candidate and model)
- Face shield, goggles, prescription glasses or safety glasses (candidate only)
- Smock or gown - an apron is not acceptable (candidate only)
- Gloves (candidate only)
The Board of Registration of Cosmetology and Barbering regulates cosmetology, barbering, and electrology in Massachusetts. The Board issues licenses to qualified individuals, businesses, and schools to ensure public health and safety by maintaining high standards for these industries.
Kindly visit the Board's web site to read more about recent changes.
- Important information for LAPSED LICENSE CANDIDATES (Cosmetologists, Aestheticians or Manicurists) who are only required to take the practical exam. You must submit documentation to Pearson VUE for a Client EXAM WAIVER for the written section. YOU MUST complete this step before making your examination reservation.
- Barber Lapsed License candidates may schedule for the Lapsed Barber Exam AFTER they receive approval from the Board. Barbers exams are only available on Saturdays or Mondays. Barber candidates should not schedule for any other days.
Examination Scheduling Information
Please VERIFY that you have registered your LEGAL name as it appears on your government-issued ID and that your personal information is CORRECT. Contact Pearson VUE immediately to correct the spelling of your name or update your personal information if you notice any errors. It is very important that this information is correct, as it will appear as it was entered on the documentation provided to you after you have completed the exam, your license, as well as on any reports to your licensing agency.
Appointments are subject to availability. Appointments must be made up to 3 business days in advance of when you wish to test.
Candidates are required to bring a completed CORI acknowledgement form (signed and notarized) to the testing site along with the required ID's and completed application form. Your examination confirmation notice will contain a current list of What to Bring. Be sure to review the WHAT TO BRINGS to prepare for check in, prior to arriving at the testing site.
Applications, Handbooks and more