Accessibility Professionals Association (APAC)
The value of the APA Certification in the Built Environment (APAC-BE) certification
Becoming an APAC-BE shows your commitment to the accessibility profession. As an APAC-BE, you show your dedication to upholding the standards of accessibility and an ongoing pursuit of knowledge in the profession.
Those who pass the Accessibility Professionals Association's Certification Exam will have demonstrated knowledge of the Federal Accessibility Requirements and the Model Codes and Standards and how each applies to the built environment. APAC-BEs will be able to interpret scoping requirements for any given facility.
Examination dates and availability
The inaugural sitting of the APAC-BE examination will be offered in person only at the January 2023 APA National Conference, on Friday, January 27, 2023. Beginning in Spring 2023, applicants may take the exam at any time through designated testing centers and online proctoring services.
Structure and content of the exam
The closed-book exam will be composed entirely of multiple-choice questions.
NOTE: Candidates must have a general knowledge of construction documents and practices as well as legal terms and procedures. The exam does not consider stricter state requirements.
The domains covered are
- Understanding accessibility requirements in general
- Determining what services are to be provided by the accessibility professional
- Applying accessibility requirements to a project within a scope of work
- Using appropriate methodologies to accurately collect and report information
- Reviewing plans, specifications, and other documentation to identify potential issues prior to construction
- Conducting site visits
- Writing, explaining, and defending a report
- Assisting clients with post-report services
For more information, contact Camille North, firstname.lastname@example.org.