Get certified from your home or office
Take your ATD exam conveniently from home through OnVUE online proctoring. A live proctor will monitor you through the webcam on your workstation to provide a secure exam experience.
Watch the short video on the ATD online proctoring page to see how convenient it is to test from home or work. Be sure to run the system test before you sign in to register for an online proctored exam. Good luck!
ATD began in 1943 as an association dedicated to training professionals. ATD created the Certification Institute (ATD CI) in 2001 as a separate non-profit entity to set industry standards for the talent development profession. The primary mission of ATD CI is to provide world-class credentials for talent development community. ATD CI credentials are based on the Talent Development Capability Model which answers the question: what do talent development professionals need to know and do to be successful?
CPTD Certification & Examination
The Certified Professional in Talent Development (CPTD), formerly the Certified Professional in Learning and Performance (CPLP), is a certification for talent development professionals with at least five (5) years of experience in the field and 60 hours of professional development.
For complete information on the CPTD certification, including testing policies and procedures, candidates must read the CPTD Candidate Handbook before registering. The handbook can be downloaded from the ATD CI website.
The CPTD Exam is designed to measure a candidate’s breadth of knowledge and skill in the talent development profession, focusing on skills application and decision making for professionals.
- The full exam contains 150 measurement opportunities that focus on the topics listed in the Detailed Content Outline included in the Candidate Handbook.
- The exam has two sections. The first section contains 90 standard multiple-choice questions and the second section consists of 10 case management problems with multiple steps.
- Candidates will have three (3) hours to complete the exam. There is an optional 10-minute break for candidates between the two sections of the exam.
CPTD Exam Scheduling
You cannot schedule an exam before applying to the program through ATD CI and submitting your program fees. If you are eligible, you will receive your CPTD Exam Confirmation and Scheduling Information enabling you to schedule your exam.
APTD Certification & Examination
The Associate Professional in Talent Development (APTD) is a certification for talent development professionals with at least three (3) years of experience in the field and 28 hours of professional development.
For complete information on the APTD certification, including testing policies and procedures, candidates must read the APTD Candidate Handbook before registering. The handbook can be downloaded from the ATD CI website.
The APTD covers a subset of knowledge from the Talent Development Capability Model, focusing on the foundational knowledge needed for successful performance by early career professionals.
- The exam consists of 125 multiple choice questions that cover the topics listed in the Detailed Content Outline included in the Candidate Handbook.
- Candidates will have two (2) hours to complete the exam.
APTD Exam Scheduling
You cannot schedule an exam before applying to the program through ATD CI and submitting your program fees. If you are eligible, you will receive your APTD Exam Confirmation and Scheduling Information enabling you to schedule your exam.
Scheduling Your Examinations
Please use the Login button on the top right of this page to begin the registration process. You may also schedule your examination by calling Pearson VUE. Find phone numbers on our customer service page.
Scheduled and rescheduled examinations will be confirmed by email. If you do not receive an email within 24 hours of the rescheduled appointment, please contact Pearson VUE.
ATD CI administers examinations throughout the year in testing centers located in the US and worldwide as well as through remote proctoring as mentioned above. To locate a physical test center near you, please used the Locate a Test Center button on this page for additional information. Take a virtual tour of a test center.
Preparing for Your ATD CI Examinations
For information on how to prepare for your examination, please visit our Preparing for the Exams page to learn about programs offered through ATD.
Day of Your Test
Valid Signature IDs
At the test center, you must present a non-expired, government-issued, photo ID with your signature. View the list of accepted IDs.
Please note the following name matching rules:
- The first and last name on the application must EXACTLY MATCH the first and last name on one current, valid signature ID.
- Failure to present one acceptable ID will prevent your admission to the test center. If this happens, you will be marked absent and you will forfeit the entire examination fee and seat.
- If the names do not EXACTLY MATCH, do not schedule your appointment until you have contacted ATD CI and updated your ATD CI name of record.