Defense Security Service (DSS)
Security Professional Education Development (SPēD) Certification
The Security Professional Education Development (SPēD) Certification Program is part of the Department of Defense’s (DoD) initiative to professionalize the security workforce. The SPēD Certification Program ensures that security practitioners can demonstrate proficiency in a common set of competencies. The purpose of the SPēD Certification Program is to promote interoperability across DoD and among the different security disciplines; facilitate professional development and training; and develop a workforce of certified security professionals.
The following personnel are eligible to pursue SPēD certifications:
- DoD personnel assigned to a security position
- DoD personnel who volunteer for SPēD Certification testing
- DoD contractor personnel performing security duties directly for a DoD Component.
- Industry security professionals and practitioners performing duties under the National Industrial Security Program
Contact your Component SPēD Program Management Office (PMO), if you have questions about your SPēD Certification Program eligibility.
SPēD Certification Registration Process
You are required to complete the following actions in order to participate in the SPēD Certification Program:
- Notify your supervisor or DoD Component SPēD PMO of your intent to participate in the SPēD Certification Program.
- In the Security Training, Education, and Professionalization Portal (STEPP):
- Create or update your account.
- Select the Profile link located on the top-right navigation bar.
- Check the box stating, “I would like to submit my information to create an account so that I may take SPēD certification tests.”
- Select the My SPēD Certification link in the email you’ll receive 24-48 hours later.
- Verify your My SPēD Certification account information.
- Select and complete the assessment request form link displayed on your My SPēD Certification account home page.
- Schedule an assessment after approval from your DoD Component.
- Select a test center near you.
Reference the FAQs on the Certification web site for additional information on the registration process.
Prepare for SPeD Certification
Competency Preparatory Tools (CPTs) and Learning Resources Guides. Prepare for SPēD Certification.
SPēD Certification Assessment Scheduling
Provided you have established and updated STEPP and My SPēD Certification accounts, SPēD Certification Assessments may be scheduled up to one day in advance. Candidates who are eligible to test must schedule and complete their authorized certification test within 90 days. To schedule an assessment, select either the Schedule Online or Schedule by Phone link below. If scheduling online, you will need to create a scheduling account with Pearson VUE. To do so, select the "New User" link, enter the requested information, and create a username and password. After you have established your scheduling account, you will be able to select the date, time, and location most convenient for you to complete the desired assessment.